Last time on my overview on how to make money online for teens, I mentioned answering surveys as a way to earn some money from the Internet. You know, I received quite a lot of interesting comments. That’s why on today’s post, let’s see how us teens can make some bucks by voicing our opinion.
1. About Survey
This is Wikipedia’s definition of survey:
A field of applied statistics, survey methodology studies the sampling of individual units from a population and the associated survey data collection techniques, such as questionnaire construction and methods for improving the number and accuracy of responses to surveys.
In a more understandable term, a survey is a series of questions, polls or any related form of getting one’s opinions, usually a product or services but can range from website design to smartphone’s screen size.
Before the Internet became a thing, surveys were usually conducted by groups of people with a sheet of paper and a pencil, or just through their voices alone. Although direct face-to-face surveying is still relevant today, most surveys are now filled in online with a payment stick to each of em 8-).
That’s enough for the basic. Let’s see how can teenagers make money online by filling some surveys.
2. How Teenagers can Earn Online Income with Surveys
Let’s first understand how surveys generate money:
- A company wants to get some feedback about their product in order to improve and make more sales. So they created a survey.
- The only problem is there is no one to fill in. That’s why the company sought out a surveys network – which is basically the same as an Ad Network ( which I’ve partially covered here ) or an Affiliate network – and pays them to help find some people who are willing to fill in that survey.
- That’s where you come in. You register for an account on the Network website. They present you with multiple surveys from lots of different companies trying to get your opinions.
- You finish filling in some surveys and send the results back to the website.
- The Survey Network then send it to the companies
- Those companies check the surveys and send the Network their money
- They then reward you with your share of the earning
- You withdraw that money and be a happy teen 🙂
That’s the basic structure of the process but there’s always room for changes and variety.
2.1 About Types of “Surveys”
We’ve talked about how surveys work quite a lot now. I won’t blame you if you’re thinking how boring it would be just to sit there and write text and text and more text. We’re teens and we wanna be free ! What if I tell you that there are a lot more than just answering questions ? What if you can play games or browse some websites and earn money ? Yes, that’s entirely possible. And that is true.
As time pass and technology advanced, surveys aren’t just surveys anymore. We now have games, apps and even videos to watch. Making money online with surveys now is more about completing tasks then filling out forms. I even dare say the former is more dominant. That’s such an amazing thing !
But keep in mind that you won’t find yourself actually enjoying the games and videos most of the time. Why? They’re paying you to do that so it wouldn’t be so cool that everyone wanna do. For example, with games, you won’t be able to play League of Legend and earn tons of money. It would be more of Snake or Sudoku vibe. But who knows, maybe you’ll cross path with a rare gem and find a game you like. The same applies for all the other form of doing tasks, you might have a liking to trial product or find a beta app worth using. But again, prepare to be bored once in a while.
Sounds like a lot of hard work huh. But of course, you’ll receive something in return, a broad smile to any teens looking for a bit more pocket-money.
- The longer the survey or the harder the tasks, the more points you’ll earn so don’t avoid the big mission
- Some survey networks focus specifically on a type of survey. That’s why if you’re keen on games, find something that focus on games. It’ll make things easier later. Try this list.
2.2. Kinds of Payment
There’s no better feelings than receiving your rewards after a long and treacherous journey. Let’s see what you can earn from doing all these tasks. Pay attention. Check whether the site provide you the suitable kinds of payment.
2.2.1 Coupons and Gift Cards
This type of payout is pretty popular and some teens really like them since they won’t need to fiddle with checks and PayPal. Generally, these will be for Wal-Mart, Amazon, Steam, etc… If you’re into shopping, you’ll like it. But most of the time, we just want the actual money so that we can decide what we want to do it. All in all, coupons are cool but not for everyone. And luckily, we still have some more to choose from.
2.2.2 Physical Items
From headphones to PS4, you can find lots of cool stuff rewarded for completing surveys. And it seems most survey network has teens in their mind so you’ll even find something that you were trying to save money for. Talk about a bargain ! Be wary that to get the expensive kind of items, you’re gonna put in lots of sweat and time.
2.2.3 Cold Hard Cash
Everyone’s favorite. Cool though coupons and mp3 are, nothing beats the good of fashion money. Most survey sites offer some form of cash redeeming either through Checks, Bank Account or PayPal but the latter is more common and is a lot easier to deal with.
Here’s some tips to keep in mind when it comes to redeeming your rewards:
- Pick the right site with the right rewards: Not every site has the same kind of payment or even the same way of paying. If you want cash, don’t pick one that only offers coupons and the other way around.
- Keep an eye out for PayPal: Like most other form of making money online I’ve outlined, PayPal is usually the way to go when it comes to getting your money online.
- Watch out for Promotions: Some sites have special promotions that allow you to redeem rewards for fewer points than normal ( more on that later ). Try to be patient and get your rewards then for maximum efficiency.
- Save for the big fishes: The bigger the reward, the better your accumulated point is and the same apply for money. Be a smart teens. Aim for the big fishes.
2.3 How Making Money With Surveys Works
Now that we’ve got the tasks and rewards out-of-the-way. Let’s see how us teens can actually convert those tasks to our rewards.
The name varies from credits to doubloons but in essential, they are just points. Now points are rewarded upon completing a task. Each specific reward has its own points requirement. So the process will go like this:
- Check the list of rewards. Find something you like.
- Check the amount of points required.
- Start completing tasks. Acquire the points.
- Get enough points. Redeem your reward.
That’s the process. It should apply to any survey network out there. But don’t get all hasty and type in “survey network” on Google search bar.
Let’s move to some important tips.
2.3.2 Super Important Tips for Teens when Earning with Surveys
Always remember these when you want to make some money online with surveys:
∗ Find trust-worthy sites
This is the most important tips any teen needs to remember. Even if you managed to find a site that pays well and easy to get done surveys, nothing matters if you can’t redeem your rewards. Scammers are all over the Internet so you’ll need to be prepared for them. I didn’t once and I paid the price. Therefore, I’ll help you make sure you won’t be like me that time 😥
First is the site design. If it’s professional and polished, it’s a good sign. How do I know? Getting a quality site up and running takes a lot of work so scammers usually don’t do that. But there’s always exceptions so beware.
Next is their system. If you find their system is easy to use as well as some big brand names are associated to them like Coca Cola or Sony, they have some credibility.
Then check their activities. Whether they are active in paying and supporting their members or not. Check their forum if they have one. Probably, all these info can be faked. Be on the lookout then.
Finally, your best bet is to look for others opinions through blog posts or forum. Either ask for others reviews on a specific site or look for sites that are recommended from creditable bloggers.
∗ Make a plan
I couldn’t find the link about the person I read about long ago so here’s the alternative you can try Surveys Experts
Completing survey after survey is a tedious work. It’s easy to lose track and get bored. An expert on making money with surveys once shared that you should have a plan on how many surveys to complete within a time frame so as not to get bored and have a sense of progress. He’s made a few thousands on surveys. Well, we can believe his words.
∗ Answer surveys Truthfully
Again, the link is Surveys Experts
Also from the above expert, his secret for making lots of money is to provide high-quality information. He said that by doing so, you’ll get the network attention. As a result, they’ll invite you to rare and high-paying closed group surveys which can even pays as high as 300$ per survey. Remember then, the next time you answer a survey, be honest.
3. Some Survey Sites to Get Started
Let’s start with searching on reputable bloggers posts, as I mentioned, a great way to find good survey sites . Am I a good one? If yes, here’s my own list or actually, a list of list :
Not much for a list but enough to get any teens started. As they say, don’t bite more than you can chew.
4. Wrap up
That’s all for today’s post. Hope you’ve understood more about surveys and how teens can make money online with them.
Give it a try. What to lose? Gain anything?
Share with us in the comment section below !
Like This Post ?
Enter your email to get new posts, offers and special promotions delivered straight to your inbox. And we'll help keep your inbox spam free !